Just a few quick links here – possibly I’ll do a BFAW tomorrow, but I’m finding it hard to think in this sweltering heat. Someone please turn off the light in the big blue room?
Nina Stone has a review of Detective 854.
Anton Vowl thinks that when Richard Desmond dies we should “stick a camera right at his dying fat fucking face and slap it on the front cover of a magazine so that everyone in the world can see that this is what a dying – or already dead, who knows? – person looks like.” Yes, the Michael Jackson story continues to have repercussions…
Joe Otten talks about the times when public provision of services is necessary, whatever free market dogma says.
LemmusLemmus on the epistemology of the parrot sketch.
And Alex Wilcox looks at the Doctor Who story The War Games.
And, as promised, the answers to yesterday’s quiz :
1) He goes forty on the freeway, he plans his day round eBay, he’d rather watch Discovery Channel than an instant replay. – Nerdy Boys by Candypants
2) I’m not coming down, no matter what you do, I like it up here without you Mr Bellamy by Paul McCartney
3) I can’t hold you down if you want to fly, can’t you see I’m all broke up inside, well just you use your two X-ray eyes That’s Really Super, Supergirl – identified by Mike (who is right about the terrible shame that XTC have split up).
4) I know I’m a fool for you, but I’m leaving and that’s the truth Ya Had Me Goin’ by LEO
5) Some people always complain that their life is too short so they hurry it along Someday Man by Paul Williams
6) I realise that I’ve been in your eyes some kind of fool, why’d I do what I did? Stupid fish I drank the pool Say You Don’t Mind by Colin Blunstone – guessed by Jonathan Calder
7) Everywhere you go it’s de talk of de day, everywhere you go you hear people say, dat de Special Patrol dem a murderer Reggae Fi Peach by Linton Kwesi Johnson
8) You know the landlord he rings my front door bell, I let it ring for a little little spell Money Honey by Little Richard
9) Did you ever get the feeling that the truth is less revealing than a downright lie? And did you think your head was hip to certain things it’s not equipped to qualify? Shangri-La by The Rutles
10) You don’t know me so well and it’s not hard to tell when you know in your heart that it’s wrong Go Back by Crabby Appleton
11) Back porch preacher preaching at me, acting like he wrote the golden rule Clean Up Your Own Back Yard by Elvis Presley
12) I had to fix a lot of things this morning, cos they were so scrambled, but now it’s OK, I tell you I’ve got enough to do Busy Doin’ Nothin’ by The Beach Boys, guessed by TAD
13) I’ll string along I’ll string along oo whaoo whaoo whaoo, Come mornings my beads on a face, a thread, a thong, oo whaoo whaoo whaoo Rosary by Scott Walker, guessed by Gary
14) Pace the floor, stop and stare, I drink a cup of coffee and start a combing out my hair Forty Cups Of Coffee by Ella Mae Moore
15) He is not your run of the mill garden variety Alabama country fair. The All Golden by Van Dyke Parks
16) Dinosaurs lived a long time ago, they were terrible lizards, don’t you know? The Dinosaur Song by Johnny Cash
17) It’s not open to discussion any more, she’s out again tonight and I’m alone once more Baby Plays Around by Elvis Costello
18) Dear when you smile at me I heard a melody, it haunted me from the start Zing Went The Strings of My Heart by Judy Garland
19) I don’t give a damn what anyone thinks, I stay up all night and I smoke and I drink.Guilty As Charged by John C Reilly.
These songs can all be heard here. Now I’m off to die of hot.